Approaches to Research
- Web-based survey data collection with peer support and advocacy organizations: Implications of participatory methods. Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action, 2017.
- Peer Interviewers in Mental Health Services Research. Journal of Mental Health Training, Education, and Practice, 2016.
- Improving Capacity to Monitor and Support Sustainability of Mental Health Peer-Run Organizations. Psychiatric Services, 2014.
Service User Perspectives
- Discontinuing Psychiatric Medications: A Survey of Long-Term Users. Psychiatric Services, 2017.
- Measurement of Perceived and Technical Quality of Care for Depression in Racially and Ethnically Diverse Groups. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 2016.
- Stigma and Difficulty Accessing Medical Care in a Sample of Adults with Serious Mental Illness. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 2014.
- Medicaid Reimbursement of Mental Health Peer-Run Organizations: Results of a National Survey. Administration & Policy in Mental Health, 2015.
- Peer Respites: A Research and Practice Agenda. Psychiatric Services, 2015.
- Non-Profit Development and Leadership by People with Lived Experience: Characteristics of Mental Health Peer-Run Organizations Nationwide. Psychiatric Services, 2014
- Recovery in the USA: From Politics to Peer Support. International Review of Psychiatry, 2012.
Peer Support & Social Justice
Systems Change & Financing
- Scaling Up Social Problems: Strategies for Solving Social Work’s Grand Challenges. Research on Social Work Practice, 2016.
- Progress Made But Much More To Be Done. In Public Mental Health, 2012.
- Medicare Mental Health Parity: A High Potential Change that is Long Overdue. Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research, 2010.
- A Mental Health Allocation and Planning Simulation Model: A Mental Health Planner’s Perspective. In Handbook of Healthcare Delivery Systems, 2010.
- Medicare and Mental Health Parity. Health Affairs, 2009.
Technical Reports & Resources
- Guidebook for Peer Respite Self-Evaluation (2017)
- Toolkit for Evaluating Peer Respites (2014)
- Results from the 2016 Peer Respite Essential Features Survey (2016)
- Results from the 2014 Peer Respite Essential Features Survey (2014)
- Peer-Run Respites in the Continuum of Care (2012) Poster presented at the American Public Health Association.
- A Case Study of the Peer-Run Crisis Respite Organizing Process in Massachusetts (2010)
- Characteristics of Peer-Run Organizations Nationwide (2014)
- Attitudes Toward Medicaid Financing of Peer-Run Organizations (2014)
- Mental health peer-run organizations nationwide: Characteristics and attitudes toward the Affordable Care Act (2014) Dissertation submitted to Johns Hopkins University in conformity with the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy.
Advocacy & Social Movements
Media Appearances & Public Sepaking
- What Happens When you Stop Taking Psychiatric Medication | Pacific Standard
- What Are the Effects of Stopping Psychiatric Medications? | NeuroScience News
- How we’re missing the real story on mental health in Massachusetts | Boston Globe
- Beyond Awareness: Mental Illness and the Ableism of Capitalism | TruthOut.com
- Future of Mental Health Interview Series | Psychology Today
- Free mental safe houses open in New York City | CNN
- Peer Respites for Mental Health Consumers Prevent Hospitalizations | California Health Report
- Students With Disabilities Aim For A College Degree, But Often Get Stuck | Huffington Post
- Peer Respite Programs | CA Institute for Behavioral Health Solutions
- Promoting College Access and Success For Students With Disabilities | U.S. Senate Hearing
- Psychiatric Medication Reduction/Discontinuation and Peer Support, October 2017 (Phoenix, AZ)
- Can I get the Recipe? Adding Lived Experience to Research. Doors to Wellbeing Peer Specialist Webinar Series, August 29th 2017.
- Self-Employment Starts with You: Opportunities and Challenges in Entrepreneurship by Individuals with Psychiatric Disabilities, California Association of Social Rehabilitation Agencies (CASRA) Spring Conference, May 2, 2017 (Concord, CA)
- Integrating Research & Advocacy into Public Mental Health Systems; Peer Advisory and Advocacy Team (PAAT) General Meeting, October 11, 2016 (San Luis Obispo, CA)
- Peer Respites: A National Perspective; Milwaukee Mental Health Task Force, September 13, 2016 (Milwaukee, WI)